Sunday, January 12, 2014

At All Cost - A Christian Rebel Productions Update

It's been awhile since I gave a proper update.

The past few months I have been in production on my latest project - a collaboration with St. Louis actress Vickie Kellerman-Doerr - titled "At All Cost". I can't talk about the plot at this point, but it is a modern day drama - and departs somewhat in style and tone from The Trigger and Resolve. It is written and Produced by Vickie, and Directed by me.

I've been shooting on the Panasonic GH3 - having finally retired my HV30 after its last hurrah on Resolve. The GH3 definitely is a different animal - designed primarily as a stills camera with a lot of robust video features as well.

With the HV30 I really had no control over Depth of Field unless I was zoomed all the way in to allow for a long focal length, given I had no control over the aperture. With the GH3 I have a lot of control over everything: aperture, ISO, shutter speed etc. While it is an interchangable lens camera I've been primarily using the 25mm Leica (50mm in 35mm terms) because we're shooting in enclosed spaces without enough light, and it allows me to open it up to f/1.4 if needed. I try not to shoot that wide open, as the depth of field is so incredibly shallow focus is tricky - but I generally am shooting at at least f/2.0.

The GH3 has required me to buy a rig to support it, as my handheld style creates a lot of jitter with the Leica lens - as neither the GH3 nor the lens have image stabilization.

Shooting has been delayed thanks to the large winter storm that's taken the US and put it under a layer of snow and ice. We are about 70% shot with a rough edit coming together. Given the uncertain shooting schedule no release date has been set.

"At All Cost" stars Vickie Doerr, Clayton Humburg, Nicole Gonnerman, Keith Ruck, Tim Butler, and Luis Perez.

No comments:

Post a Comment